Saturday, February 4, 2012
I found this image while blog jumping (jumping from one blog that leads me to a link to another blog, etc.). I don't know the true source (and I am not claiming to be the source) but it is an excellent little tool to determine what your portions should be. Enjoy!
I absolutely love avocado! Its an amazing fruit that is commonly associated as being a vegetable because it isn't sweet. They are so versatile and can be incorporated into so many things besides guacamole (which is one of my favorite things in the world to eat!).
A very good friend of mine posted a blog about baking an avocado in an egg! It is pretty simple and the original post that I was inspired by came from here. I Googled it and there were so many baked avocado messes that came up from the weight of the egg causing the avocado to roll. My finished product was intact! Yay!
Check out the recipe for my whole delicious and nutritious lunch!!
Have a delicious day friends!!
1 medium/large egg
1 tomato (I use slicing tomatoes on the vine)
10 yellow grape tomatoes
1 cup broccoli
1/4 cup chopped onion
10 stalks chives (I used the smaller, prepackaged kind)
Italian seasoning (McCormick works well)
2 tbsp olive oil
AvocadoPreheat your over to 425 degrees.
1) Start by selecting an avocado that is just ripened enough to be somewhat tender when you squeeze it. You don't want one that is too firm or that gives way when you grip it.
2) Press the avocado slightly into your cutting board so one side flattens out slightly. Don't press too hard so the skin breaks. Just enough pressure that the avocado doesn't roll around on your counter.
3) Roll the avocado a half turn so you can see the flat side and the remaining rounded side. Cut it in half so there is a flatter side and will be your "dish".
4) Remove the core of the avocado and discard.
5) With a spoon, follow the edge of the hole left in the avocado and scrap out toward the bottom and edges of the existing hole. Make room for the egg to be dropped into it.
6) Season with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic and onion. Place on a baking sheet.
7) Crack and egg and gently allow the uncooked egg to fall into the hole you created.
8) Season the egg with the same spices as in step 6.
9) Gently put the baking sheet into the oven for about 15 minutes or until the egg is cooked through.
1) Chop vine tomato, yellow grape tomatoes, chives, onion and place in a bowl. Drizzle the olive oil over the salad and season with salt, pepper, garlic and Italian seasoning.
*If you have some, add basil or fresh mozzarella cheese. It's mouthwatering!
Steam the broccoli and plate with avocado and salad!