Tuesday, August 5, 2014
Zucchini Bread Waffles
Here is the hybrid of my two favorite foods- zucchini bread and waffles! Zucchini bread is one of those wonderful foods sent from the produce gods to make our lives a little richer and sweeter. These waffles are mildly sweet, moist and fluffy! Enjoy!
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 medium zucchini
2 Granny Smith apples
1 tbsp + 1 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp molasses
1 heaping tsp of cinnamon
1/2 cup unsweetened almond, soy or skim milk
1 tbsp Vanilla extract
1. Preheat your waffle iron based on the manufacturer instructions.
2. Using a grater or food processor, chop the zucchini and apple into very small pieces. Place into a strainer and allow to drain for 10 minutes.
3. In a mixing bowl combine flours, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon. Mix thoroughly.
4. Add brown sugar, molasses, milk, egg and vanilla extract to dry mixture. Using a stand mixer, mix on low for 2 minutes.
5. Fold in shredded apples and zucchini until completely incorporated.
6. Spray the waffle iron with non-stick spray. Pour a 1/4 cup of batter and cook to your preference.
Enjoy with sliced fruit or maple syrup. Makes 8 waffles.
Nutrition Facts (per waffle)