I have been feeling a little uninspired as of late for some new recipes so I turned to old faithful, Pinterest. As always, I was diving through hoards of unhealthy recipes and looking for something special. Then I found the inspiration for these quesadillas from the blog Running to the Kitchen.
The original recipe looks so delicious but packs a whopping 2 cups of cheese! Now,for the purposes of my blog I knew I had to trim that don but boost up some other flavors so I didn't feel like I was missing out. After 2 attempts, I found what I was looking for! Here is my take on Kale & White Bean Quesadillas that are a high fiber, low fat, excellent source of plant protein and PACKED with yum!
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
1 15 ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed well
4-5 leaves tuscan kale, stems removed and ripped into small leaves
8 tbsp. low shredded cheddar cheese (or cheese alternative)
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
3 whole wheat Flat Out Wraps or whole wheat wrap of your choice
1. In a medium skillet, brown onions, green peppers and garlic in olive oil for about 10 minutes on low. The onions should become somewhat clear in the middle and slightly browned on the edges.
2. Add cannellini beans, black pepper, onion & garlic powder and red pepper flakes. Cook beans in onion mixture until beans are tender, on medium for about 10 minutes.
3.Take a potato smasher or a large fork/knife and mash mixture thoroughly.
4. Place 1 wrap on a griddle pan set to medium. To one half of the wrap: add 2 tbsp. of cheddar cheese and 2-3 heaping spoonfuls of bean mixture. Then add kale leaves to cover top of bean mixture. Again top with 2 tbsp. cheddar cheese.
5. Carefully fold the empty half of the wrap over the top of the filling.
6. Using a spatula, carefully flip the quesadilla over to melt the cheese you added in the final step of #4.
7. Cook until cheese is melted and enjoy!!
This recipe makes 3 hearty, delicious quesadillas! Enjoy!!!